AuthorTopic: Winches?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Barry Scott

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Winches?
« on: August 16, 2005, 19:57:53 »
Not sure I need one, but I want one.   Anyone got any preferances, the Warn X9000I looks nice, price tag is a bit off putting though.

I would rather spend money now to get a good one I can start using and just take from vehicle to vehicle rather than buy a cheap one now and have to get another one later.

Any idea's?
Barry

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 20:04:47 »
If you like the XD9000, Devon 4x4 have them on special offer at the moment... £499 I think.

You could also look at the Warn Tabor 9K... currently £349 from Devon.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 20:05:44 »
When I was looking for one the Superwinch EP9 was looking the clear favourite for my budget (Well known, easy to get spares, low amp draw). Depends what you can afford.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 20:14:27 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
If you like the XD9000, Devon 4x4 have them on special offer at the moment... £499 I think.

You could also look at the Warn Tabor 9K... currently £349 from Devon.

Silly question, but should the x9000 work on most vehicles?  I have not sourced a winch bumper yet, but if this is cheap for an X9000 (no idea what they are worth) it might be worth getting.  If I fail to get a winch bumper I am sure I could get something made to mount it.
Barry

Offline yer auld aunt nelly

Attack Member
alright bud
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 20:28:03 »
:D dont want to patronise you or anything nan.But do you need a winch as of now there is a lot more important gear on yer list before you get to winch,when yer think on it!ive got through a lot of 4bys and have only still numbered one hand the times have used a mates or what have you.Dont want to p@&* in yer chips or owt, but" its a lot of monkey for what might be pony" if you see what i mean. :wink:
yer better not naff this up an come back to these shores or god help me yer auld aunt nelly will jump out of her grave an like as not kick yer teeth in......

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 20:36:36 »
yer auld aunt nelly

I understand exactly what you mean.  I am trying to spend on things that would move to another vehicle when I can afford to upgrade.  I would like to do a suspension lift but that could work out costly and allot of hard work for someone who knows nothing about these things.  Also doing that would just write that money off, it would not really increase the vehicle resale and I could not more it on to another vehicle.

I am thinking with a winch it is something that may come in handy, and I "could" benefit from it now, but will definitely want one in the future.  If I get a good one now at a great price, then I may get some more use of it plus it should last me along time.
Barry

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 20:40:27 »
Quote from: "Barry Scott"
yer auld aunt nelly

I understand exactly what you mean.  I am trying to spend on things that would move to another vehicle when I can afford to upgrade.  I would like to do a suspension lift but that could work out costly and allot of hard work for someone who knows nothing about these things.  Also doing that would just write that money off, it would not really increase the vehicle resale and I could not more it on to another vehicle.

I am thinking with a winch it is something that may come in handy, and I "could" benefit from it now, but will definitely want one in the future.  If I get a good one now at a great price, then I may get some more use of it plus it should last me along time.

Shackle lift on the back and adjust the torsion bars on the front (don't do that yourself!).  Should be a simple job.  unless i've missed soething
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 20:59:16 »
Quote from: "jim-willy"
Shackle lift on the back and adjust the torsion bars on the front (don't do that yourself!).  Should be a simple job.  unless i've missed soething

You assuming I know something about whatever it is you just said  :( .  Currenly my knowledge of my vehicles suspension is equal to my knowledge of the ozone layer, I know it is there, just no idea how it does what it does.
Barry

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 21:03:25 »
Quote from: "jim-willy"

You assuming I know something about whatever it is you just said  :( .  Currenly my knowledge of my vehicles suspension is equal to my knowledge of the ozone layer, I know it is there, just no idea how it does what it does.

The torsion bars can be cranked to lift the front (As on most Mitsys), that is dangerous but requires no parts, get a 4x4 place to do it for you.  Extended shackles lower your leaf springs and cost next to nothing, no increase in articulation but will lift the rear.

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 21:27:28 »
Just found a post on NE4x4 how to fit the shackles, just on MSN with the guy, he got the shackles of ebay so just searching now.  The guy is really helpfull, I am yet to speak to a 4x4er who isn't.
Barry

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 21:31:35 »
Just found a post on NE4x4 how to fit the shackles, just on MSN with the guy, he got the shackles of ebay so just searching now.  The guy is really helpfull, I am yet to speak to a 4x4er who isn't.

They sell Fronteras all over the world including America, I don't know what kind of lift is safe, the yanks are bound to mod them, if you look you'll probably get lots of info there.  Its an Isuzu Amigo in america I beleive.

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 21:48:03 »
Good thing is, if it is only cheap it means it won't affect my winch fund :D
Barry

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 23:55:07 »
Ok, so moving off topic a bit but did not want to start a new post as it started here.

I have ordered some extended shackles which should give me a 2" lift at the rear.  Unfortunately to lift the front I have to adjust the torsion bars which I hear can make the handling a bit...iffy.

Now, would I loose the benefit of the extra clearance by getting a strut brace made to firm up the chassis?  I would still have the clearance but would I loose articulation (sorry if I sound thick, working off what I have picked up so far) and if so would it be enough to make the lift pointless?
Barry

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 00:02:42 »
Ok, so moving off topic a bit but did not want to start a new post as it started here.

I have ordered some extended shackles which should give me a 2" lift at the rear.  Unfortunately to lift the front I have to adjust the torsion bars which I hear can make the handling a bit...iffy.

Now, would I loose the benefit of the extra clearance by getting a strut brace made to firm up the chassis?  I would still have the clearance but would I loose articulation (sorry if I sound thick, working off what I have picked up so far) and if so would it be enough to make the lift pointless?

You won't gain any articulation on the rear with only a shackle lift, just room for bigger tyres.  I would doubt whether you can get 2" just from adjusting the torsion bars.  What do you mean a brace?  If you lift it you'll screw the handling, it can't really be helped.  If the ride matters leave it as is (Have you reached its limits yet?).  The gain is body height not articulation or diff clearance with a budget lift like you are looking at

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 00:33:28 »
Sorry, I meant would I loose any exisiting articulation by fitting the strut brace (here, in the second pic down you can see one).  The strut brace is used in performance cars to remove some of the roll, it add stiffness to the vehicle and prevents some of the flex you would normally get.
Barry

Offline Owen

Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 06:57:38 »
Barry keep me posted on who you get your mods from so I can get them for SWMBO's car.
As far as the winch bumper goes whay dont you get one fabed? It will be cheaper and there are loads of farbicators about :D

Offline Barry Scott

Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 07:53:21 »
Owen

I will probably look into that before buying one.  Need to carefully think about the winch as there is quite allot of money involved that I might be better off spending on other recover equiptment like a Hi-Lift, ropes, Hi-lift accessory pack, waffles etc.  I will speak to Devon 4x4 when I am ready to put the order in.
Barry

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Winches?
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 20:12:07 »
Sorry, I meant would I loose any exisiting articulation by fitting the strut brace (here, in the second pic down you can see one).  The strut brace is used in performance cars to remove some of the roll, it add stiffness to the vehicle and prevents some of the flex you would normally get.

No idea what it means.  That cars suspension set up is nowt like yours though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal