AuthorTopic: Guide wire from Brush Bar to Rack  (Read 1039 times)

u2ra_winner

Guide wire from Brush Bar to Rack
« on: September 12, 2005, 10:26:10 »
Sorry if this ended up being listed twice.  I am new to forums and find that I have abit to learn.

I need advice from a vetern.  Well done disco's are few and good advice is far between near me.

We have just added a Hannibal Rack, the truck already had a Brush Bar.  To avoid trees getting caught up I would like to add guide wires.

I have not yet been able to find close up photos for guidence.  

If anyone can help me out I would be very greatful.   I am hoping some good guidence will avoid those unforseeable challenges.

THX

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 10:31:05 »
You can do it with bits from your local hardware store.  You need some steel wire rope, some rope clamps and a strainer so you can put a bit of tension in there.

Not sure what stores there are around, but our local B&Q warehouse carries all sorts of SWR fittings.  Essentially you can wrap the wire round the bull bar clamp it to itself, then take it up to the strainer and clamp it off, and hook the other end of the strainer on the rack somewhere.  Some bull bars and racks have fittings on them already to make life easier.

Whatever you do, make them removable because they are not legal for use on UK roads (that includes byways, etc.) and in my opinion they are really dangerous.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

u2ra_winner

Removable Guidewires
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 11:16:09 »
Thx for the advice.  I hope to make them removable.  

:-k

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 18:33:39 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"

Whatever you do, make them removable because they are not legal for use on UK roads (that includes byways, etc.) and in my opinion they are really dangerous.

:shock:

That's saved me a job then, I won't bother.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 18:56:50 »
AFAIK the "only" vehicles that can be fitted with them are the camel trophy vehicles as they were fitted from standard with them (year dependant) & are also a classic vehicle  :?
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 19:49:33 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
and in my opinion they are really dangerous.

A sort of "cheese slice" for pedestrians in an accident! :cry:

Offline Damonski

Attack Member
  • Cheshire :)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 08:32:13 »
That also saves me a job, as I wanted to pop these wires on too.

Oh well, off to find something to add instead  :D
--

Damian

Range Rover Classic 2.4TD  | Disco 300 Mpi | Citroen Xantia Activa
plus other rainy day projects....

Facebook Me

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 10:12:24 »
I use red ratchet straps so they can be removed easily there a lot wider than wire so a little bit less cheese wire but still keep the tree’s branches away. I only use them in Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire due to the amount of trees. (Still illegal I know)

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 10:51:43 »
I wouldn't be sure, but I suspect if used properly there would be no problem with these 'illegal' wires:

If you add them to your vehicle to make it look 'trendy' or 'butch', and drive it round the roads all day (looking all shiny) then you can expect to get stopped by the police..... illegal......dangerous..... blah blah.

If you are using them an a 'branchy lane' at not much more than walking pace, with little or no pedestrians, then I don't think there would be a problem.

I'm basing this on the fact that if you carry an axe through a shopping centre, you are likely to be locked up, but if you are using one to chop wood or fell a tree, then nobody is going to label you a murderer.

I suspect the same applies to the wires.

:wink:
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

u2ra_winner

thx Tim
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 05:50:24 »
:D
Yes, I do plan on making these removeable, and only plan on using when off road in the tree'd areas.

I started to acumulate the hardware today and hope to complete the job before this weekend as we are planning a trip up Mt Baldy.  (Pikes Peak area Colorado Springs, CO USA)

Thanks to those who provided constructive advice.  I appreciate the wisdom. :idea:

Plz continue to send any other thoughts in the meantime, I will let you know when its completed. :?:

Michael

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 07:53:57 »
I was wondering where you were based. No idea what the legalities are in the states but from what i understand you arent likely to bump into pedestrians when out int he wilds. Lucky devil
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 13:00:10 »
Do you have a boat place anywhere near? Chandlers sell all kinds of bits and bobs for wires that you won't get elsewhere, bottle screws, quick releases etc.

If you are anywhere near LA there is a guy in our office who is well into Land Rovers, I can pass on your details.
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 15:09:50 »
Quote from: "TimothyM"

If you are using them an a 'branchy lane' at not much more than walking pace, with little or no pedestrians, then I don't think there would be a problem.

Still illegal, you're just less likely to be caught!  :wink:

If a tree falls in a forest and no one's there to hear it, does it make a noise?

Yep - ever heard a dozen squirrels scream?

cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline Mace

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 15:36:34 »
All this talk of illegal for the road stuff makes me wonder whether they'll ever ban winches. It's always scared me to death to think of the damage they could do to a pedestrian.
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 16:18:54 »
I would say what they are more likely to do is adopt the US (and some European) policy of type approval for things.  Due to our heritage of 'tinkering' with cars, we actually get away with a LOT of stuff in the UK which you couldn't come close to in some other countries.

Things like failing commercial 3rd party suspension parts are likely to set alarm bells ringing.. let alone some of the 'home brew' mods that are done by people...   all it will need is (God forbid) someone to get killed and I can see legislation arriving very quickly
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Mace

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 16:44:50 »
One thing that I have noticed personally is that my insurance company requests a detailed report on the exact mods I've made to my Disco. Manufacturer of parts, details, who fitted them and do they have any qualifications. All this info could be used against a claim should they find out that an accident was the result of a 3rd party modification.

You're quite right I think Tim, there will come a time when all this tinkering will become a legal minefield in the event of a number of deaths due to A or B etc.
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 21:13:07 »
I have thought long and hard and lets face it, the outcome wouldnt be good. I think in the event the law will come looking to us in the first instance and we would be party to it . Having parts fitted by other people wouldnt absolve us from ultimate responsibility. I drive like a saint- i have to mine isnt a sports car and it drinks gas.But as I recently found out accident can happen.
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline chris9119

Attack Member
  • The New Big Boy, Gert...
    • Lordswood, Kent
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 21:29:59 »
I've got them fitted to BB all the time. I agree that they could be dangerous, but by the time nearly three ton of 4" lifted D1 has hit them, they probably won't care about the cheese wire anyway.

Chris

ps: only in fun the last bit
pss: i can do a full set of wires, adjusters for £30. all you need to supply is the mounting brackets to suit your motors. £45 gets you full S/S
Chris
Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chris9119/gallery

Mud-Clubbers do it on channel 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal