AuthorTopic: SU Carb problems  (Read 1349 times)

poprivit_S3

SU Carb problems
« on: April 30, 2008, 20:57:21 »
Some help please.

I have a 3.5 V8 running on a pair of 1" 3/4 SU carbs. It will run at idle but splutters if you try and drive. I have striped the carbs and reset floats etc but still no joy. Any one local to thrapston or able to offer some advice please  :?

Offline andyb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Tilshead, Wiltshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: SU Carb problems
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 18:37:07 »
Dash pot oil level? If this was low then it would stop the needles from lifting and it would probably splutter then.

Also are you sure that it is not an ignition problem....advance working, points and condensor ok etc

HTH

Offline bertie_bas205

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 00:47:53 »
The dash pot oil is to dampen the carb piston action. I had BIG running problems with my V8 on SU's and it was an ignition fault. Converted it to Lumination, pulls like a train now.

B.

poprivit_S3

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 21:06:16 »
It was the Carb's got a refurb kit and fitted new Jets and Needles. 

anaxemurderer

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 14:51:14 »
Can you give anymore details of the probelm

Mine has had a similar issue! Stumbles on acceleration, especially if you give it alot of fuel.

I've rebuilt the carbs (though not with new needles). I think it seems to be better, though it still needs abit of a tuning tweak. If this doesn't sort it properly i'l start on the ignition again, though that was all checked before.

Cheers

Nick

Offline Poprivit-RRC

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 22:21:47 »
The issue is around getting the carbs balanced. Be warned it is a lot of messing around to get them right and i have now decided to fit a 4 Barrel Edelbrock wit a offenhauser duel plane manifold.

Easier to setup and much better running.

If you want a good pair of SU's let me know :) 

ben_haynes

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 01:23:09 »
The issue is around getting the carbs balanced. Be warned it is a lot of messing around to get them right and i have now decided to fit a 4 Barrel Edelbrock wit a offenhauser duel plane manifold.

Easier to setup and much better running.

If you want a good pair of SU's let me know :) 

what do you want for the carbs, i got to drop a new engine in mine and want to fit SU's so i can fit the LPG but need to re con them and could do with a ood set to get me going straight away

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 23:26:42 »
Fitting LPG to an EFI is actually easier than carbs, you know?
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

ben_haynes

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 23:31:52 »
Fitting LPG to an EFI is actually easier than carbs, you know?

i havnt got an EFi engine, i have Solex carbs and they are a PITA to adjust as you need a bit of kit that you cant buy any more after my dads kit broke trying to adjust them for the MOT

Offline Poprivit-RRC

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 11:15:05 »
Drop round and have a look i have 2 sets one fully rebuilt but i will want a good price for these and another sold to me as being refurb 12 months ago but the bottom rubber seals were not changed so they leak slightly. I can seal these for you after you have had a look at them with some ally sealing compound :)

give me a shout if you want to drop over.

cheers rich

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal