Vehicle & Technical > Mitsubishi

Pajeros overheating

<< < (2/2)

Tiny Tim:
Dunno about the clutch and flywheel story cos mine is an auto but as to how they get treated in Japan ...

Very well - much better than in UK cos cars are so expensive and motoring laws far stricter than here.

Pajeros do however, have a habit of overheating largely due to neglect
(not watching water levels, using tap water, not replacing radiator cap, water pump failure and filling up the rad with mud  :oops:  )

I know plenty of Pajero owners that regularly tow large, twin axle caravans without problems, although (in fairness), most are autos.

discodaz:
The main crux of the story from the Caravan Clubs point of view was that this was picked up by the Red pennant Continental breakdown Service,
& it is affecting Pajero's Towing on the continent, where higher ambient temperatures are the rule rather than the exception, combined with Longer distances being travelled, (bear in mind that 2 years ago in the Vendee area of France it was 38/40 centigrade at midnight!!) my thoughts are that perhaps in Japan they are considered as more of a luxury car,not a workhorse for towing heavy loads etc,therefore they dont need to have a heavy duty cooling system,whereas the Shogun is sold in the U.K knowing that they will be bought by Caravanners And also people who have to tow Commercially, so they have a cooling system to cope with that kind of use.

Tiny Tim:
On a vehicle engineered for tropical off road driving, personally I think this highly unlikely but if they are talking about engine overheating, this is potentially an 'Achilles Heel' in deisel Pajeros dating from the early 90s.

Not really linked to towing or ambient temp (cos they do it over here without a load), but this influenced by longer journeys and poor maintenance.

Having had this problem myself, (due to failed water pump),  I noticed that my new head has individual coolant returns from each cylinder. This leads me to believe that the original coolant flow may have been flawed but that pump failure or coolant loss is far more likely the culprit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version