AuthorTopic: 300TDi - manual or automatic?  (Read 6643 times)

Offline Ben

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
300TDi - manual or automatic?
« on: May 27, 2005, 17:52:33 »
I'm currently sorting out the best thing to do with my 90. I need to have more forward facing seats than the 2 I have, so I'm toying up between a 110 and a Disco.

Now, I can get much more for my money with a Disco (and I really liked my TD5 Series 2 when I had it), so I'm really tempted. However, I've seen quite a few diesel automatics for the right sort of money.
How do these work off road - do you just lock it into 1st / 2nd and drop it into low box and go for it?

Cheers

Ben
Previous Vehicles:
1999 Discovery TD5 ES 7 seater
1996 Defender 90 300TDi Truck Cab - Stolen June 2005
2000 Defender 90 TD5 SW - Stolen, Recovered, then Sold
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Auto

Current Vehicles:
2004 VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport 140bhp
Kids. Who'd have em:)
2005 Renault Clio Expression DCi 65 5 door

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 19:04:31 »
My opinion is that Autos are supreme off-road.

Total control over power delivery, smooth and effective.

Don't believe anyone who says they have no engine braking... they do.  It isn't quite the same as a manual, but it is there.

I'll never go back to a manual for an off-roader.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 19:14:05 »
That surprises me.  I've mostly preferred manual gearboxes with diesels, because otherwise the gearbox tends to drive the engine further up the rev range than I'd like.  You also lose a bit of economy of course, and there's more to go wrong.  I prefer manual boxes on this type of vehicle.

However, I do agree with Tim that autos are lovely to drive off-road.

David
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 19:19:03 »
Yes... just a qualifier... I'm a V8 man ;-)

I've used a 300tdi Auto off road, and it was pretty good too....  but it wasn't a V8 ;-)

As for there being more to go wrong... hmm...   in other circumstances I'd agree, but with the manual gearboxes LR have produced I'm not sure that is true.

As well as that, because the auto power delivery is smoother there is less strain on other transmission components too.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 20:03:07 »
Lets see ..... I have :

1 x Discovery V8i 4.6 V8 AUTO - Offroad? AWESOME - you have to learn the hard way how to drop 3 tons of heavy metal off a drop with an auto .. and the trick is left foot braking to lock up the torque convertor - master this and there's no heart in your mouth moment (however - I like the adrenalin rush... <giggle>)

1 x Freelander V6 2.5 STEPTRONIC - Offroad? MILES AHEAD of the manual I borrowed - it was AWFUL offroad, the auto variant is years ahead - keeping drive to wheels and enabling the fancy traction system s to work independently of the numpty on the clutch ;-)

1 x Range Rover Vouge 4.4 STEPTRONIC - Offroad? STUNNING. I don't know how to to start describing this box offroad - it has so much more control than either of the above ...  drive one - you'll understand ;-)

P.S. Piglet has trashed a gearbox .. at 120,000 miles ... that's not bad considering he has the WRONG engine up front and weighs so much - and the failure could have happened to anyone.
--
Neil

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 20:08:44 »
It would appear that an auto box is 'good' off road.
I've only been doing this for a while but now i'm seriously tempted to fit an auto box.
I like the fact that you always have drive but the engine braking bit scared me. but after reading what some of you have writen i'm thinking of giving it a go!
Luckily a mate of mine wants to change his auto disco box for a manual. I have a LT77 man box and he has a 1998 disco 50th Tdi 300 series.
Anyone know if we could swop easyly?
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline robbie

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 21:20:32 »
A few months ago I too was in  the same dilemma. I had seen Disco but it was Auto. I wasnt sure how it would perform off road but bought it anyway.

Boy am I glad, it is soooooooo simple to drive off road and puts just the right amount of power where you need it. I seem to have less wheel spins and consequently more grip........ I love it  :D

Oh, and this is a 300TDi too, just passed the 100,000 miles and off to Yorskhire Dales tomorrow and I cant wait :)

Go for it!!!
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Offline robbie

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 21:22:00 »
Oh, and engine braking is fine, different than a manual but it is definately there, lock it in 1 before descending and it works fine. There is a small delay which is a bit worrying at first but you soon get used to it :)
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 22:01:30 »
cheers for the tip Robbie
 :D
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline Colin 009

Attack Member
    • High Wycombe
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 22:26:46 »
Just have to add to the Auto fan club, :lol:  its fun watching the faces of passengers as you start down a drop  :twisted:  and roll quickly at first then the engine braking kicks in and you gently descend.  8)
Cheers.
Colin,
Shiny Blue Crew 009
                   "Everbody Has to be Somewhere"

Offline robbie

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 23:05:56 »
That is evil, scaring your passengers!!!!

Good fun though init  :twisted:

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 23:11:39 »
Before buying mine I tried a Tdi auto ('M' plated)  belong to one of our Sisters.
The response on it was absolutely awful & almost required an egg-timer.

The subsequent thought of having to pull out into the traffic flow in a Tdi auto put me right off the idea.
Manuals for me, please with a diesel.

I've tried the 3.9V8 Discovery with an auto & that was fine
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 22:16:53 »
I run a 90 300TDI with a ZF 4speed auto, cos i kept the defender transfer box it picks up much better than my Dads Disco auto, it tops out at 75-80 on the miotorway but you can't have everything.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline landyman Ash

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 17:55:34 »
I run two different landies, a disco auto and my offroader is auto.

The 300tdi auto disco is a but gutless less in some aspects.  I use it to pull my hybrid which with trailer, is 2.5 tonne and it pulls it fine.  It just lacks the initial pull.  If you need to pull away from a round about sharpish, forget it!!!!  

However, my hybrid is auto, always will be and always will.  For serious off roading the auto is better then anything.  You'll break less, get better changes when climbing etc etc.

My Hybrid is V8 but its going TDi and STAYING auto.  If this is your day car if you can deal with the slight lag of the turbo and auto box combined you'll be fine.  If your a speed demon, stay manual!
Ashley (but everyone knows me as Ash...)

Roxanne the 88" 300tdi auto Hybrid Trayback thats broken more than its fixed
Rosie the 300 Tdi auto disco that picks the hybrid up when broken...
Daisey the trailer that sits behind Rosie and lies under Roxanne.
The sexy threesome!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal