AuthorTopic: fox hunting  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Manicminer

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
fox hunting
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2006, 00:08:24 »
I love in a part of the Country where it's impossible to chase a fox with a horse. The chosen method was a pack of hounds and as many persons as possible with guns. The dogs were used to flush the fox and the guns did the rest.
This is done on a small scale now, but is not very effective as it's usually done with a couple of dogs and maybe 4-5 guns.

If people were against hunting with horses then that should have been banned and not hunting with dogs.

A fox will take what it's been used to eating. A lot of them eat mice, worms, frogs, beetles, etc and pose no threat to farm animals. Some however were fed on lambs by their parents as cubs and they will prefer this kind of meat to any other. Some foxes will kill a pen full of chickens just for the hell of it.

As an ex farmer's son I would have left a fox that posed no threat alone as they tend to keep others away. Better the devil you know :wink:
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
fox hunting
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2006, 07:41:32 »
From what the hunt tells me 90% of the time the do not even see a fox let alone catch one!

You can run a pack of dogs in the countryside. as long as you have the land owners permission.

Sigh, I guesss they will be looking to ban shooting next  :lol:  hope not.
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline Garin

Attack Member
fox hunting
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2006, 09:24:03 »
Quote from: "Boggert"
From what the hunt tells me 90% of the time the do not even see a fox let alone catch one!

not.

So another 10% wouldn't make much difference.

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
fox hunting
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2006, 10:10:13 »
One of the most effective ways of getting rid /culling this VERMIN is to shoot it.

As for hunting with hounds & horses - banned purely for political reasons and is just another example of the Government that "knows best" and can't resist interfering. I am neither a fan of hunting foxes this way nor a advocate, but cannot see why it whould have been banned. BEWARE: 4x4's will be next!

As for the people that say "poor ickle foxes" I'd love to take 'em into a chicken pen that's been accessed by a fox and witness 30 chickens all ripped to bits by a fox, but maybe only one taken as a feed. The best way of dealing with them is a 'bit of lead behind the ear' - usually the night after, when he comes back for more!

My dad's farm is on the edge of an increasingly urban area and some of the foxes we've shot have been riddled with disease. As for the muppets that feed them in their back gardens, then perhaps they too would benefit from "a little lead stimulus behind their ears!"  :roll:  :twisted:
Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

Offline Grant

Attack Member
fox hunting
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2006, 10:33:38 »
Quote from: "Steve ray"
As for the people that say "poor ickle foxes" I'd love to take 'em into a chicken pen that's been accessed by a fox and witness 30 chickens all ripped to bits by a fox

Cant look much different to a mega bucket!

Admittedly I'm more of a fulham farmer than a poultry farmer but my suggestion would be to put a fence around the chickens.

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
fox hunting
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2006, 10:36:51 »
Quote from: "Grant"
As for the people that say "poor ickle foxes" I'd love to take 'em into a chicken pen that's been accessed by a fox and witness 30 chickens all ripped to bits by a fox

Cant look much different to a mega bucket!

Admittedly I'm more of a fulham farmer than a poultry farmer but my suggestion would be to put a fence around the chickens.

Might've know some smart ar5e would say that  :roll:
Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

Offline Garin

Attack Member
fox hunting
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2006, 10:52:54 »
One of the most effective ways of getting rid /culling this VERMIN is to shoot it.

As for the people that say "poor ickle foxes" I'd love to take 'em into a chicken pen that's been accessed by a fox and witness 30 chickens all ripped to bits by a fox, but maybe only one taken as a feed. The best way of dealing with them is a 'bit of lead behind the ear' - usually the night after, when he comes back for more!

This would be the sensible way of dealing with the problem, if the hunters don't  even see a fox let alone catch one most of the time they can't be that successful at keeping the numbers down, it is a barbaric practice that  uses the excuse of vermin control as a reason to continue the so called sport, it should have been left in the dark ages were it belongs, hunting is what  you do when you want something for the cooking pot

Offline Mudlark

Attack Member
fox hunting
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2006, 11:26:16 »
Of course the best way to farm chickens and keep the fox from them is to battery farm them

Click the pic get my NEW site

1988 2.5td manual Shogun SWB

Guardian.

fox hunting
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2006, 17:30:15 »
WONT BE ABLE TO SHOOT PIGEONS SOON FOR UPSETTING TO MANY TOWNIES.

att

fox hunting
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2006, 18:04:00 »
Just as soon as others keep their noses out of business that doesn`t apply to them the whole world will be a better place.
Concentrate on what you do yourself and keep your noses out of others business, that is my motto.

I am from the Town, but have live rural for 21 years, when in Rome.

I detest humans who try to stop others from doing what they enjoy, as long as another human is not injured....What gives?

If I had my way, we would all be watching Gladitorial combat :D

Sort the men out from the puffs. :wink:

Offline Stormin

Attack Member
fox hunting
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2006, 18:38:21 »
Hunting foxes with dogs is sometimes the only way you can. (Lakeland Fells etc) I don't agree with digging them out when they've gone the earth though. Shooting them? Yes, but how many have crawled away to die slowly. They don't stand still for you. Traps and snares? Nasty and you can catch other animals as well. Same with poison. If left alone their numbers WILL increase and the danger to live stock will also increase. How long before they start to hunt in packs? Far fetched? Think about it. Fence in stock like chickens, ducks etc? Yes, but a fox can dig AND chew it's way through chicken wire. I've seen it and the results. I don't hunt myself as such, but have lain in wait for, (and shot) foxes that have raided local farms. No-one has a quarms when it comes to trapping and poisening mice and rats. Foxes a vermin too. As are feral cats. I some times wonder where all the ban this, that and the other will end.
Stormin'    

Have Land Rover,
Will travel.
LR  90 2.8Tdi
76 Triumph Spitfire 1500
SJ 410 (Rolled and now a projet)
D.E.F.R.A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.
www.memoryboxmedia.co.uk

Offline POTASH

Attack Member
    • cheshire
fox hunting
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2006, 18:56:01 »
every one knows you cant kill a fox witha gun unless you use a silver bullet, and they only come out on a full moon some times ive heard them howling as well  :shock:          

count dracula
discovery200tdi homemade snorkel
                        homemade steering guard
                  homemade tank guard 
                  homemade light bar

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal