AuthorTopic: Rock/tree sliders & jacking  (Read 942 times)

Offline bambamjj

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rock/tree sliders & jacking
« on: June 16, 2008, 22:02:55 »
Do any of you have any tree/rock sliders fitted?

If so can you jack your vehicle up using them, mine does not have built in jack points?  but i was thinking of jacking up with highlift jack similar the lift i used to do on my series from the front bumper for casting etc.
P reg 300 tdi Discovery, very slow, sluggish and standard but i am working on it.......

SOLD - Gutted
94 V8 Discovery 200 in Black
2" pro-comp lift
Spots
Diff Guards

Offline paulnb57

Attack Member
Re: Rock/tree sliders & jacking
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 07:20:36 »
Standard bumper wouldnt take the weight of the truck when jacking, can't see how rocksliders will help with casting as it needs to be done from the front or back.............however you can jack on em.
Ede Bibe Lude Post Mortem Nullas Voluptas
Eat Drink Play, after death there is no pleasure.
98 90 300tdi

Offline bambamjj

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:03:24 »
Used to cast from bumper on my series not looking to cast from my Discovery bumper, Just used the lifting as an example, sorry.

So it is ok to jack up the vehicle in and emergency, or any time to change tyre or get under neath as long as it is supported by stands etc.
P reg 300 tdi Discovery, very slow, sluggish and standard but i am working on it.......

SOLD - Gutted
2" pro-comp lift
Spots
Diff Guards

Offline paulnb57

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:44:45 »
Im a bit confused now!
Anyroadup dont jack on the bumper, you could jack on rock sliders and you should always support the truck when jacked, even if you shove the spare under the diff.........I carry and axle stand........Ive been trapped under a 90 when it slipped off the jack when pulling on a breaker bar. I was very lucky it pinned me by the hip and I could just reach the jack and get myself out. The toolbox just happened to be in the right place and took the rest of the weight of the truck.......toolbox was crushed but at least I wasn't............
98 90 300tdi

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 13:59:08 »
Normally I use a 5t bottle jack or trolley type for general lifting, followed by axle stand if doing anything more than changing a wheel

Also chocking a wheel front and rear for anyof these jobs would be preferable

I also have the option of a high lift jack with an adapter to lift by hooking it in the wheel itself (crack the wheelnuts before lifting), obviously you would engage diff lock before playing with this option, and make sure handbrake on and in gear

Its a quick and easy to jack up without crawling underneath, you can then drop an axle stand under there, or if you have been stuck a waffle board or similar packing under the wheel, for recovery purposes
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline bambamjj

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 13:29:21 »
more than likely being misunderstood here.

Can i jack my vehicle up using the rock tree sliders?

SOLD - Gutted
2" pro-comp lift
Spots
Diff Guards

Offline paulnb57

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 14:12:33 »
Yes!
98 90 300tdi

Offline roccodog

Attack Member
  • 1995 300Tdi disco
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 14:39:30 »
yes you can jack your disco up on the rock sliders.

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 19:58:50 »
I find they are great for lifting the body off the chassis when doing a body lift  :dance: :clap: :rolleyes:

Which I've had to do 3 times on mine!  [-X [-o<

Long story... basically I had to weld in new body mounts on the rear inner sills where they had rotted away and no matter how hard I tried I could not get the repair panels to go back as they were originally so the spacers would not fit and I had to lift the body to get them back in! The one side was such a big welding job it took me a few months to summon up the will power to get on with the other side (and the fact the MOT ran out!).

If you have tree sliders you are best to get the Hi-lift right up against them for stability (of sorts).

I don't trust a Hi-lift for anything that involves you doing anything under/on the vehicle where you are putting life and limbs in danger! Recommend you use axles stands or another jack or something of substance just in case.

Land Rovers are I find one of the most unstable vehicles there are when it comes to jacking! I had mine on axle stands at the front with both wheels off and it still managed to move on me when I was hammering something off!
1996 Discovery 300TDi Affectionately known as Clover. 
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,
Fine English engineering modified to work!

Offline Mr Alford

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 09:10:46 »
i have replaced my sills with 60x60x3mm box section now theyre just fine to jack up on
James@plymouthoffroad.co.uk     The biggest club in the south west! As featured in Total Offroad this month!

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 11:50:19 »
i tried jacking on my rock sliders and no i cant they just fold up into the door  :evil:
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 18:46:35 »
Actually that is a very valid point you raise.

If you have the type that bolt to the chassis like side steps then you can't jack on them as the brackets just bend.

Mine are the proper type which bolt through the sills with 8 bolts.

Solid as anything they are but a proper PITA to fit!

1996 Discovery 300TDi Affectionately known as Clover. 
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,
Fine English engineering modified to work!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal