Offline hairyasswelder

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
  • Referrals: 0
Bikers
« on: July 16, 2009, 18:27:15 »
Was going to pick my little fella up from my sisters, had just picked Jess up and was driving along but got stuck in traffic.
A motorcycle was passing the stationary traffic when the guy behind slapped his indicator on and pulled out to turn right.......CRUNCH....... the bike went across the road on its own while the rider slid past my car on his side/arse  :shock:

WHAT WOULD YOU DO ????????

and yes I am a biker too. 

I was stopped so I got out and went to rider, put my hand on his shoulder to stop him getting up and made sure he was OK.
After making sure he was OK I let him get up and take his helmet off. Jess rang for ambulance. 

After talking to both the rider and driver of the car, both decent chaps, I said I would take his bike home for him, (2 miles away in the direction I'm going) while he went for a trip to hospital.  He got his sister to direct us, we dropped it off, refused beertokens, nice to offer tho'  ;)

Have said to one or two people what happened and people have said they would just have left him  :evil: :evil: :evil:......... as a biker if a biker goes down you pick him up, one day it could be you.......

Same goes for Landy, if I saw one wrapped round a tree or broke down..... I would stop

Is this the state of things or is this a one off
Can I not add a poll to this ??
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Re: Bikers
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 18:29:16 »
OH forgot to add...... biker is ok, just badly grazed and bruised hip bone and shoulder.

Jess exchanged numbers with his sis and has had texts/calls to say thank you  :D

Steve

wrecker

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 19:23:00 »
for sure as a fellow biker id stop and do the same,

TOP GUY FOR DOING WHAT YOU DONE MATE,WE NEED MORE LIKE YOU. :clap: :clap:

and as for landys,yeah id also stop if safe to do so and help if i could

Offline horsethief

Attack Member
  • Mootara say's show me the water
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 19:32:14 »
I'd do same m8,I pull to left when see them coming.Bet is was a bmw driver.As for stranded landy,broke down,I'd stop to help, after some friendly ribbing.
Now got some camacs and bfg a/ts can't get it stuck.Need longer legs.

Offline mikiep1986

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 19:48:45 »
 yea i would do the same anytime anywer i seen trouble . . .
200tdi disco aka "bertie" ;)

Offline wing nut

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 20:16:18 »
well done  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Matt

suzuki dr 650 import(now with new gearbox)

43 with the mental age of tarmac and a harpsichord

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 20:43:21 »
I would obviously help the biker, i think most people would.

However, i wouldnt be on his side in the matter.  If he wasnt overtaking traffic then he wouldnt be in this mess???

All too often we hear of drivers being the problem when it comes to bike accidents, yet with the stupidity i see from bikers on a day to day basis then i think its only a matter of time before they come off.

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 20:53:39 »
I always try to help out, especialy if I'm in a job car. Even then, some people some surprised that I stop! :shock:
I am a firm believer in the rule of 'do unto others as you would have done unto you'. One day, I might need the help.

Offline robert francis

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 20:55:42 »
im not  biker, but a friends bike broke down and he needed to get home, i took his bike in my van to my house and my friend who didnt even no him lent him his porsche 944 turbo, id stop and help any one if safe to do so, as one day it might be my girlfriend who needs help and id like someone to help rather than leave her, so i help others,
www.bonkas4x4wales.com
fully prepared offroader
lifted, large wheels, rose jointed trailing arms, snorkel,spots, roof rack, h/d rear bumper, tree sliders, winch and winch bumper, body lift, loads more.
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 21:02:35 »
Post was meant more about others attitude but THANK YOU for the positive comments  :D

However, i wouldnt be on his side in the matter.  If he wasnt overtaking traffic then he wouldnt be in this mess???

Not taking sides Yoshi, he cocked up..... he admitted it but he was the one that was hurt and needed help, car driver was ok

.Bet is was a bmw driver.

Naah it was a Honda Accord, similar to my Rover 400

Offline Mikieb1981

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 21:09:34 »
Deffo stop and help having been off my bike before it isn't nice.

Have nearly had the same happen to me fortunately I always filter past stationary traffic very slowly (15 - 20mph) and could stop easily but see some bikers flying past which is scary!

As for blame a lot of the time car drivers dont look before they pull out of a queue, what if it was an ambulance they didn't see would it be there fault for overtaking to get to the accident causing the queue?

Bikers certainly aren't innocent but neither are car drivers I should know being both!!!

Offline wormster

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 21:16:24 »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd do similar, and have done so in the past.
Mainly found lurking underground and drivin my vit off road

Offline freeagent

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 21:18:25 »
I'd stop and help the biker, as I would anyone who has had an accident...

but - I generally have little sympathy for bikers, as some of them are suicidal, and most of them tend to use their vulnerability to intimidate other road users..

Regardless of that, i'd still do all I could to help him, and keep him safe/still/alive until the pro's arrived.
1996 300Tdi 3-Door Discovery...

H/D Steering rods, Steering guards, diff guards, discoparts H/D rear bumper, rocksliders with tree bars, 245/75r16 General Grabber AT2's..

Offline seph234

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 22:14:45 »
Yes i would stop too, well done :clap:. The word we are looking for is chivalry( if thats how you spell it).   Joe
200 tdi disco
bf goodrich muds 265/75/16 on mods
2"lift bearmach springs pro comp shocks
1"body lift
rock sliders
diff guards
safari snorkel
steering guard
rear arches cameled
wizard bits steering damper relocation kit
sumo track rod####sold it#

now own lc colorado 2000 x reg 30td  and loving it!!!!

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 22:44:49 »
Well done that man  :clap: :clap:

As an ex-biker I always stop if I see one broken down or pranged. Same goes for Landies  :dance:
Regards

Steve G
"Paddy" a 1996 3.9 V8 ES Auto Discovery
A re-imported Japanese model running on LPG

Offline xmob

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 23:06:12 »
I'm not a biker, my wife won't let me.   :oops:

However, I look on with envy at every GSX-R that I see.

Of course, I would stop and help also.  The biker in this case was lucky.  About 5 years ago I was the last person a work colleague spoke to.  Ten minutes later he overtook a line of stationary traffic on his way home to his wife and new baby.  The car at the front turned right.  He died at the scene. :'(
Clyde 2.0 - Disco 200tdi
Bonnie - Freelander TD4 ES Premium

Offline ben-dent

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 23:15:49 »
im not a biker and dont have any intentions of it either, i have seen the resaults of bike accidents (my old boss was paralised from a bike accident) but i am a qualified 1st aider and i feel it is part of my duty to stop at any RTC (Road Traffic Collision)

i do agree with freeagent though i have nearly taken many bikers out whilst changing lanes in traffic (if anyone knows the M1 / M6 / A14 junction they will know how busy it gets and that you have to remember which lane to be in over a mile away from the junction) even had some under take me while i am over taking lorrys on the A14,
Ben Haynes

1984(B) Rangie Vouge V8) (DENT)
1986(D) Rangie Vouge CCV Trialer

Offline SEDDEY

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 23:30:26 »
I have stopped in the past when a bloke has been knocked off his bike and I would do so again.

This time last year a lad that I only knew from a bike forum P.M.ed me to ask for help. He had done his back in while doing a job at a farm and wanted to get his bike home. I went the ten miles to his house, then to the farm and rode his bike the six miles to his house.

The main thing is that I hope some like minded person, be it bike or Landie, would do the same fopr me if I needed it.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely
200TDi discovery

Offline denviks

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 08:36:00 »

but - I generally have little sympathy for bikers, as some of them are suicidal, and most of them tend to use their vulnerability to intimidate other road users..

OMG...... i think i have read it all now. sorry freeagent yours was the 1st one i came to when qouting a post with these centiments.  nothing aimed at you.......

have little sympathy for bikers because some of them are bad apples  :-o

do we not get this attitude from walkers etc in the 4x4 past time. ? " arrrgghh blummin 4x4 owners, there all the same , out there ripping up the country side. "

i am a biker myself aswell as a land rover owner. so i would stop to help either. as road users we are all in the same boat. there are good and bad drivers/ riders out there and should be treated as indidual people and not lumped in a group that you are not happy about. i use the center of traffic to ride through at busy times of the day......nothing wrong with it and not illegal. as long as you take your time and dont rush. some drivers out there dont look and move lanes with no thought for others. then there are drivers who move in to the left to allow you to pass clearly.

well done for stopping mate....... nice to know there are still some good people left in the world  :clap: :clap:

sorry about my little rant  :oops:
cheers
dennis
more moves than a dad in a disco!!!!!!!!!!

im always @ www.plcuk.co.uk

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 09:49:28 »
Ultimately, most people would do what they could for those involved. However, there are a minority who would just drive on by. I was knocked off my bike (pushbike) when I was 16. I was out cold on the road when the next car literaly drove over my bike and off down the road  :shock: As I said, I was out cold (for 22 hours!) after landing on my head. This was way before helmet use was commonplace. So I was very reliant of the help of others who stopped.

Those who know me will be saying that landing on my head explains a lot :lol:

As for blame....
We all know that every group of road users have their idiots.... and people will make mistakes. It just being human. In a perfect world we would never see an RTC, but the world, and people, aren't perfect.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 10:18:15 »
been on both ends of this - and glad to say people stopped both times, nothing major and we all walked away - but some very arrogant drivers out there who would rather drive past and stare than stop and help!
Filtering is always a risky business business and always gets me when car drivers attempt to either stop bikers from doing it or try and knock them off - even saw 1 car driver open his door on a biker.. mind you he lost as the biker got off (all 6 foot plus of him) opened the drivers door fully and dragged him out, and had a 'word' or 2  with him.. rest of the queue started clapping.. 1 very red faced car driver got back in and locked his doors.. :lol:

Offline NiteMare

Attack Member
  • Birmingham by The Fort
    • Birmingham by The Fort
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 11:50:49 »
i'd always stop as long as i can safely being both biker and driver ...

i've had my share of bike accidents, some my fault and some other folks ...

a few years ago i hit diesel on an island (Tyburn Island) whilst on my Goldwing heading for Wales and a weekends camping, bike slid out from under me and skittled across the road whilst i bounced around seperately, not one person stopped to check on me or help, everyone was in too much of a rush for thier tea (evening rush hour) so i was left to pick myself up and struggle to get my bike up and out of the way of traffic whilst everyone tried to force thier way round me into other traffic...

another time i had a woman come out of a side turning at 9pm (late September) straight across my nose (i was on a dual carriageway), which forced me to take evasive action ...

the result was i hit the nearside rear quarter of her car with the rear offside of my bike and came to laying on the verge with someone trying to tug my helmet off, at the scene she was all apologetic and admitted she hadn't seen me, but once home and talked to friends/relatives she decided i had entered a reservation/access point and hit her ...

luckily that time a few folks had stopped to try to assist me and phoned for an ambulance/police, plus a lad in his works transit stopped and loaded my bike up and delivered me home....

would i stop for a biker in trouble ??
of course i would  :grin: (i'd probably stop for anyone in trouble)

i even stopped for an older couple in a landy (on coils) with a puncture a couple of months ago and swapped thier spare on for them, then a couple of weeks ago i stopped and towed a very nice looking MG Roadster to a safe parking point so they could await the AA where they wouldn't get rammed...

i'm a firm believer in doing good turns as i might need one sometime

p.s.
you get arses on/in both bikes and cars, but regardless you still have to have a little thought for your fellow traveller regardless (and we all make mistakes)

p.p.s.
i've travelled with one woman who thought that filtering was totally unfair and was illegal (i corrected her), she in my opinion was one of the more dangerous attitude drivers on the road for bikers as she was quite irate about the guys that filtered past us while we were sat in a queue even tho i explained they were doing nothing illegal or unsafe, in my opinion she'd be the type of driver to deliberately try to block, she'd taken her driving test because, "she had to and her daughters needed her to collect them from college" (both her daughters were late teens and obviously too lazy to catch a bus), not because she enjoyed the independence of her own transport or driving
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:00:40 by NiteMare »
it ain't broke ...

i ain't fixed it enough

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 12:19:33 »
I have found filtering through the traffic the attitude of drivers changes with the weather  :?
I used to take my sis in law to college through Nottingham.  When it was sunny they would rather kill you than let you past, but when it rained heavy they would move over obviously to let you through  ;).

The lad was filtering but going steady so not major damage, think the car was going to u turn cause of the traffic. not involved in pointing finger at either person but I would say 50/50

Jess had failed her driving test that day and what she said was spot on....... "now I know why you check your blind spot every time"....

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 18:11:42 »
I think the problem with filtering is that to other road users it looks like queue jumping. Yes it's legal and safe but some people react badly when they feel that someone else isn't waiting their turn.

As someone said, you get good and bad driving all forms of transport. We've all had the idiot on a sports bike who hangs off our wing riding aggressively and then cuts us up after overtaking, same as we've all had the trucker who blocks the dual carriageway for miles while trying to overtake another HGV. We don't notice or remember the biker who waited for a safe place to overtake and left plenty of room, or the trucker who let us out of a junction when everyone else streamed past.

I'd like to think that I'd stop for anyone in trouble, assuming that nobody else had and that I didn't feel edgy about them. I'd be more inclined to stop for a lightly modded Disco than an X5 with a couple of dodgy-looking blokes!  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 18:18:32 by Disco Matt »
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline ben-dent

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 22:46:56 »
sorry but i am one of those that Hates it when bikers force their way through traffic (filtering as you call it), and i do sit on the line to make them slow down and have trouble getting past it doesnt change in the bad weather either, my oppinion is that we have to sit in the traffic they should also sit in it and they also do it on hash markings and solid lines, so that is illegal to cross them
Ben Haynes

1984(B) Rangie Vouge V8) (DENT)
1986(D) Rangie Vouge CCV Trialer

Offline denviks

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 23:07:26 »
ah can you feel the love here  :lol: :lol: :lol:

ben do you ever loose wing mirrors?  :shock:

i ask as i know bikers who love a driver to block them and they take great pleasure in removing them on thier way past......i dont condone it myself....

bikers have been using the center of slow moving traffic for years now and it amazes me how selfish some can be... i cant get this car through  so no one will pass me...

fair enough on hatching and double whites as that is against the law......
cheers
dennis
more moves than a dad in a disco!!!!!!!!!!

im always @ www.plcuk.co.uk

Offline SEDDEY

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 00:33:43 »
sorry but i am one of those that Hates it when bikers force their way through traffic (filtering as you call it), and i do sit on the line to make them slow down and have trouble getting past it doesnt change in the bad weather either, my oppinion is that we have to sit in the traffic they should also sit in it and they also do it on hash markings and solid lines, so that is illegal to cross them

So we can all sit in traffic and block up the road or the lads on bikes can get out of the way and reduce the congestion. Think about it ????!!!!!  #### ( These are instead of the expletives that I want to put at this time)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 00:35:48 by SEDDEY »
200TDi discovery

Offline bravo669

Attack Member
  • The Mans Machine
    • Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 09:44:41 »
i came accross a biker on his face in the road on my way to a job interrview once. only had minor injuries but was squealing like a pig!! got him off to hospital and still got the job!!
it doesnt matter whos fault it was, if someones hurt and you're there you help.
Green Suzuki Jimny soft top with +2" KAP supension lift and Insa Turbo Saharas

Add me at www.facebook.com/braine

Offline SEDDEY

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 12:21:57 »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:
200TDi discovery

Offline vtrdaz

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 23:15:42 »
Not all bikers are the same.
Not all bikers "force" their way through standing traffic - some are considerate and if some misguided soul wants to block them they will wait and pass when it's safe to pass - much like myself , if someone wants to block me , thats ok , i'll still get past eventually and safely.

Not all bikers overtake on cross hatching and solid lines - it's illegal and dangerous.

Just the same as all large 4x4 drivers don't use their size on the road to intimidate other road users/overtake on cross hatchings etc , but some do.......................

And yes i too would stop anybody out who's in trouble

Darren

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal